Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Marital advice

A few blocks away from mine and Chris’ apartment lives a man called Cliff. Cliff inhabits a caravan, and rents the adjoining garages of two houses on a little back lane. He runs his bike business out of these, using one as a workshop and the other for storage. Cliff is a salt of the earth kind of guy, an old school bloke who talks straight (‘See what you’ve done to your chain? You’ve fucked it mate’). He has a grown up daughter and I think there may have been a marriage somewhere in his past, but now it’s just him and his terrier Spinner.

I was heading down to pay an overdue bill for our latest bike service, and as I turned the corner into his lane I could see that he was enjoying a Saturday afternoon BBQ with his mates. All of them were about Cliff’s age and seemed cut from the same cloth.

I squared my shoulders and got into character.

With Cliff there’s a certain way deals are done, subtle social nuances that must be played out. I knew I had to apologise for the late payment, but I also had to do it in a way that played up to his ego (especially now that there was an audience)
‘Cliff! I just saw bloody Chris, told me he hadn’t paid the friggin bill, so I gave him a big slap on the wrist! What a dickhead!'

Cliff’s long grey haired friend lent in to contribute his 2 cents worth (he had helped with the bike servicing and was getting a cut of the profits) ‘Shoulda given him a slap on the forehead!!’

Much laughter ensued.

Cliff brushed off my apology and as we continued to chat I slipped him the money, which he put away without counting to show that he still trusted me. As wound up our transaction he suddenly remembered ‘Oh and I hear that Chris’ caught you, wearing a ring now are you?!’

‘Of course Cliff – he couldn’t let a beauty like me slip away! Who else would pay the bills?’

More laughter followed by raised beers to the happy couple.

I expected some zingers to follow, referring to ball and chains, or any other joyful wedded stereotypes.

Cliff started out –

‘Now Mary, my father once told me about marriage’

The blokes and I waited on baited breath for the joke

‘He said start out the way you want to finish’

I lent in waiting for the next line, but that was it. I looked around - everyone was very serious. A short fellow held his beer up and called out ‘unconditional love and respect’.

What?

I thanked them, said goodbye and walked away a little confused, where had this come from? What was with all the respect and love? Where was the sexism?

On further pondering I’ve realised that back in Cliff’s day that is what you did when a young couple got engaged. Those who were older and wiser (and had already been though the wars) would offer advice on maintaining a happy relationship. Courtships were also shorter, so relationship advice was more relevant - especially as most people wouldn’t have lived together first.

The majority of my parental figures (I have lots that fit into that category. Refer to my first blog entry for scandalous revelations) aren’t married, and although many are in long term relationships, and many more give me relationship advice (and listen to me whine) no one would think that because I’m now engaged they needed to sit down and give me a ‘talk’ about how to maintain a happy relationship. But do you know what? It was nice.

I often feel like I’m justifying getting married, it isn’t seen as a necessity or the institution it once was. I find myself trying to explain why we are doing it and defending our choice against scepticism (ps nice one Kim Kardashian for fucking it up for the rest of us). It was actually really sweet to have a group of relative strangers simply accept our decision and give beautiful advice.

What better goal than beginning and continuing with unconditional love? And slapping your partners’ forehead when actually it was both of your faults that a bill was paid late?

Thanks Cliff, thanks surrounding gentlemen, every one of you is a friggin legend and you dickheads made my bloody day.

1 comment:

  1. Darling daugter - I have only not offered advice as you having some van Reyk blood in you would absolutely not take it - which isn't a bad thing, mind you, look where it's got me - or maybe ignore that last bit.

    Anyway I do happen to have quite a bit of experience in the relationship game having totally bombed out on the first one with your mother, though I think I have made up for it since then, had a fierce and fraught but mostly satisfying 3 year pas de deaux with the ex boyf, and successfully lived in three extremely close non boyf or girlf relationships all of which continue in different ways, and of course 4 absolute rippers of relationships of the canine kind, and I suppose I have to count in the works in progress with the 5 of you siblings.

    So, I do feel in a position to comment at least on Cliff's advice and I suggest you forget it. Starting the way you mean to finish leads to the shortest relationships I reckon. My suggestions:
    1. Take a gamble and see what happens.
    2. Change when it's worth it and don't when it's not.
    3. No two relationships are ever the same for all those complex nature and nurture and experiential and contextual messinesses so start out knowing that in the long run you and the relationshipee are on your own.
    4. You won't know it's finished till it's finished so how on earth can you start out with any set intention?
    5. Surprise yourself by how you do change.

    Them will do for a start.

    Oh, and the pooches want me to add:
    1. Go and run in the rain sometimes - it's marvellous fun and free.
    2. Don't stay out on the sun too long even if you have a fur coat on.
    3. Farting in bed is always forgiven in any true relationship.
    4. Going walkies is a great way to spend time together.
    5. There's nothing that can't be settled by a good lick on the face.
    6. People are the dumbest animals around and you have to be patient with them

    ReplyDelete